Short Term Rentals
Short Term Rental Implementation Update– January 15, 2020
|Non-Owner-Occupied Coastal Permits In Review||Non-Owner-Occupied Permits Approved in Coastal Zone||Remaining Non-Owner Coastal Zone Permits|
|Non-Owner Occupied Outside of Coastal Zone Permits in Review||Non-Owner-Occupied Permits Outside of Coastal Zone Approved||Non-Owner Coastal Zone Permits Remaining|
34 owner occupied units have been applied for an issued. There is no cap for owner occupied units. A total of 91 permits have been applied for.
All applications are submitted online. Please check your spam mailbox to ensure you have not received an email from our inspector requesting an inspection or receipts from our third party vendor, host compliance. Please ensure either yourself, or your local contact is available for that inspection and all smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers are installed, and in working order. If you have any additional questions, please contact us at (805) 473-4520 or email us at email@example.com
Save Time! Pay your Taxes Online!
Save Time! You can pay your taxes online via host compliance! Remember, you must submit a form either online or via US Mail / In-Person even if you have no stays for the month. All payments are due no later than the end of the month for the previous moth stays.
Short-Term Rental Permit Application Process
Applications for Short-Term Rental (STR) Permits for legal dwelling are accepted for review and processing, on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications must be submitted online. Applications will not be accepted at City Hall or via U.S. Mail. The required submission information and the permit process will differ depending if you will be operating an "owner-occupied" or "non-owner occupied" short-term rental. Prior to submitting for a STR permit, please review our Administrative Rules.
What is an "Owner-Occupied" versus "Non-Owner Occupied"?
The City’s ordinance makes a distinction between "owner-occupied" and "non-owned occupied STRs. If during you are staying in the same dwelling unit or in another legally permitted dwelling unit located on-site, while you rent out other rooms in your home, then you are operating an "owner-occupied" STR. If you reside elsewhere or you will not be residing on-site during the period of the short-term rental, you are considered a "non-owner occupied" STR. Owner Occupied permits are not limed, while non-owner occupied units are limited in number, based on the location of your home. A total of 60 permits will be issued for homes located in the Non-Coastal areas. A total of 40 permits will be issued for homes within the Coastal Zone.
General Requirements for both "Owner-Occupied" and "Non-Owner Occupied" STRs
The following information is as part of the STR Permit application process:
- Applicant (Property Owner or Property Manager) information (name, mailing address, email address, and phone number)
- If the property has been purchased within one year of application date, a current title report will be required.
- Site address, including unit number/letter, if applicable. No P.O. Boxes will be accepted.
- Site Plan, including locations of on-site parking spaces, electrical panel, water shut-off valve, and gas shut-off valve.
- If the site has more than one unit, indicate the location of the STR unit. Please click here for a sample site plan.
- Floor Plan, including the uses of each room (i.e., living room, bedroom, bathroom, etc.). Please click here for a floor plan example.
- Number of bedrooms to be rented.
- Copy of Conditions, Covenants, and Restrictions (CC&Rs), if applicable.
- Business Tax Certificate Application (will be included as a part of the online application.)
- A checking account or credit card to pay permit fees and remit Transient Occupancy Taxes (TOT).
- A good neighbor brochure should be linked to your rental listing. Link the Good Neighbor Brochure to your listing (PDF).
Additional Specific Requirements for "Owner-Occupied" STR’s
- Proof of residency (i.e. SLO County Tax Assessor bill indicating Homeowner’s Exemption) or a copy of a vehicle registration if a copy of your Tax Assessor Bill is not available. To obtain a copy click on this link.
- Self-certification of Inspection Checklist (PDF)
Additional Specific Requirements for "Non-Owner Occupied" STR’s
- If the Applicant is the Property Manager, the Authorized Agent Form (PDF) must be submitted.
- Local Contract Information (name, mailing address, email address, and phone number).
- After submitting the application materials, City staff will contact you to schedule an inspection of the proposed STR unit.
- It is encouraged that the Inspection checklist be reviewed and any deficiencies be addressed prior to scheduling the inspection. View the inspection checklist (PDF).
Please visit our YouTube channel
View tutorials on how to complete a short-term rental application.
Navigate Quickly & Easily
City Help Center